Wednesday, February 15, 2006

"Experimentally Acquainted" with Jesus

I have been reading through the works of Jonathan Edwards. It will take a great deal of time to do but I have a deep resolve to continue to glean from the droppings of his table! I have been captured in thought by a statement Edwards made in reference to the seemingly many out there who profess Christ as Savior but don't seem to have an authentic faith. He calls them "experimentally acquainted" with Jesus and the gospel. If you think about the levels of insight in this statement you begin to fathom what seems to be missing in so many who say they are "saved". They have the right lingo, they subscribe to the right compartmentalized fashions in the church, they have good moral tactics, and many seemingly Christian behaviors. But it seems as though a level of reality is missing. It seems something did not happen to them that was permanent or truly life changing. They, like the child that experiments with something to see what it will do, have "experiemented" with Christ. They "gave him a try" but it hasn't changed the essence of their being or caused them to become an worshiper of Jesus with every fiber of their life! They are just "experimentally acquainted" with Jesus but don't truly know HIM as a legitimate child of God. I will continue to ponder the implications of this thought given to us from the table of Edwards feasting on God! Contemplate with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas, an old friend from OBU, Tim Youmans here. Stumbled upon your new web-blog. Glad to see you are finding your place in helping people into the Kingdom of God. My youth group will be with you this summer at Falls Creek, the very first week. Perhaps we can say a few words then. www.TimSean.com

Unknown said...

Thomas,
Great thought, my brutha. There's been something unnerving about the 'Try God' bumper sitckers I remember seeing around Houston years ago...Christianity is not dipping your toes in and testing the water--it's cliff diving into the swift currents, with no Plan B if this one fails.

I'm looking forward to watching your blog develop. We crossed paths a couple of years ago when I was doing some work for the SBTC, and I've been keeping up with your ministry ever since.

Blessings!And welcome to the blogosphere!

Greg P said...

Hey Thomas, this blog is awesome to see. You are reading the giants. I've recently discovered Owen and been blown away by his insights into the Word of God, especially regarding holy living. He and Edwards are both tough to read yet worth wading through. You were a great blessing to me in Knoxville last year and I hope and pray the Lord keeps your fire burning strongly.

Greg